Monday, June 27, 2011

Blog Challenge - Day 1 - My Favorite Song

I have so many favorite songs and for so many different reasons.  In no particular order, here are some:

-  "Angel of the Morning" by Juice Newton.  This song is definitely on my list, as it's the first song I remember singing as a toddler.  My aunt remembers a two (or so) year old Destiny singing this song all the time when she'd come over to visit.  Really a little risque for such a youngster...lol...but I've always been mature for my age.  My mom says I never wanted to play with other children because I preferred being a part of the adult conversation.  I've been told I have an old soul.  Sometimes I wonder what exactly that means...

-  "A Broken Wing" by Martina McBride.  Martina McBride is one of my favorite singers.  Everything I've ever heard her sing is the epitome of awesome.  Such a powerful voice.  I always loved singing this when I'd go to karaoke nights at the bars in my college days. 

-  "Independence Day" by Martina McBride.  Might as well put this on the list, even though I already said I love everything she sings.  Many of her songs are about overcoming...beating the odds.  Personally, I love songs with deeper meanings.  Many songs today are so shallow and boring.  I love when people sing about issues that really matter.  And I love it even more when you can tell that they're passionate about what they're singing.

-  "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw and made famous in the movie "Flicka," which I have yet to see.  My dad is not an emotional man.  He rarely shows any emotion...rarely expresses himself.  I'll never forget that he gave me this Tim McGraw c.d. for one of my birthdays several years ago with a card that read something like "You'll always be my little girl.  I love you."  I remember never hearing this song prior to that birthday.  I recall listening to it in my truck immediately after my visit with my parents...and balling uncontrollably because of the sentiment.  So sweet.  Needless to say, this was our "father-daughter" dance at my wedding in 2009. 

-  "Unchained Melody" by LeAnn Rimes.  Yes, I realize she was not the original artist, but I love her voice.  I've always been somewhat jealous of her accomplishments.  She's living my dream.  This song is just so beautiful on so many levels.

-  "When I said I do" by Clint Black with his wife, Lisa Hartman Black.  This was my first dance with my husband.  Beautiful duet by a couple who appear to be so in love.

-  "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" by Nirvana.  I love Nirvana and this is one of the least well-known songs, I'd say.  When people ask my favorite Nirvana song, this is always my reply.  The lyrics are different, but I love Kurt Cobain's powerful voice.  Nirvana is still one of my all-time favorites. 

That should be it for now, even though there are many other songs I could add to this list.  I love music.  Music has always been able to change my mood.  Music plays (no pun intended) a large part in my life.

1 comment: