Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blog Challenge - Day 3 - My Favorite T.V. Show

This one is also a difficult "favorite" for me.  Not because I have too many shows to choose from, but more like not enough that I think are that great...definitely not many worthy of being a "favorite," ya know?

I guess lately I've been most "into" shows on Discovery Fit and Health, because they're interesting and sometimes I find myself actually learning something.  Other channels on my list would be Travel and History, on occasion. 

And, who am I kidding?  I love Guy Fieri's Food Network show, "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives."  Okay, so I can't leave Paula Deen's, "Paula's Home Cooking" off my list either, because I love to watch her show when I get the chance.

I don't know if anyone else enjoys watching this show, but "Hoarders: Buried Alive" has to be on my list.  I think some people may like this show because it's just hard to believe someone can allow their home to get this "out of control."  Some people may like it just for the fact that, let's face it, we all like to see someone who is worse than we are.  I mean, you might think your house is messy, turn on this show, then comparitively...your house is clean. 

I think this show is sad.  First, I believe that these "hoarders" suffer from a psychological disorder.  There has to be something deeper going on with these people.  In fact, in several episodes of this show that I've watched, the "hoarders" have lost someone close to them, and in turn, are attempting to fill the void in their life by collecting stuff. 

I know where these people are coming from.  Not that I'm a hoarder, but I unfortunately do know what it's like to lose someone close to you.  I come from an immediate family of four, meaning, growing up it was my mom, dad, my older sister, and myself.  I lived 21 years of my life with this being the case.  At that time, almost 7 years ago, my life changed drastically.  My sister passed away at the young age of 28 from what the corroners believed to be a brain anuerysm that finally burst.  In a moment, my life as I knew it was turned upside-down as my only sibling left this world. 

My life changed at that point.  In fact, it might even make the most sense to say that I began a new chapter of my life at that point.  Or even a new life, if that's even possible.  I mean, take everything you've known for the first 21 years of your life and throw it out the window.  Start at square one, because life no longer makes sense for you.  That's how I felt.

So to these "hoarders," who have lost a family member or spouse...I'm sorry.  I know it's hard, but it will get better.  There is help for you out there.

I always like to look at the bigger picture.  What made these people begin this lifestyle?  When did it get out of hand?  What can others do to help them?

I know that when my sister passed away, my parents left her room untouched.  They are just now, with my help, going through my sister's things...after almost 7 years...so that I may sell them.  But other people aren't fortunate enough to have family members close enough to help them get their lives in order...to sort through the chaos.

Losing my sister was the most difficult part of my life thus far.

I also would like to leave you with this:  Things are not always what they seem.

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine what it must be like to lose a sister. Just thinking about it makes me very upset.
    Who knew talking about tv shows could end up so deep? Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete